A Cold Legacy by Megan Shepherd (Book Review)

A Cold Legacy (The Madman's Daughter, #3)After killing the men who tried to steal her father's research, Juliet—along with Montgomery, Lucy, Balthazar, and a deathly ill Edward—has escaped to a remote estate on the Scottish moors. Owned by the enigmatic Elizabeth von Stein, the mansion is full of mysteries and unexplained oddities: dead bodies in the basement, secret passages, and fortune-tellers who seem to know Juliet's secrets. Though it appears to be a safe haven, Juliet fears new dangers may be present within the manor's own walls.
Then she uncovers the truth about the manor's long history of scientific experimentation—and her own intended role in it—which forces her to determine where the line falls between right and wrong, life and death, magic and science, and promises and secrets. Juliet must decide if she'll follow her father's dark footsteps or her mother's tragic ones—or make her own.



Now, I am not sure what to say. Lets just say this book brought out all of my emotions. I would say this book is my second favorite in this trilogy. The first book was majestic, I liked the second one, and I am in the middle with this one. Now because this is the last book in the series, I want to tell you guys what I was thinking. So there will be a part of this review that will have spoilers. I will do everything without  spoilers first, and warn you before they happen. I take precautions to make sure you don't get spoiled.

I am not very familiar with the story of Frankenstein, have not read it actually. I know the basics of it though. I'm not sure if reading the story first helped you understand the story better. I mean, I think I got the other books... do you need to understand the stories that based these books?  Let me know in the comments.      

I did find that this book was hard to get into. It wasn't until about a fourth of the book passed that things started to get good, and I mean get good. Maybe it was because I felt like nothing really happened. Like they accomplished nothing, in the first part of the book. Along with the fact that the second book was more of a set up to this book, I expected more action. Just to warn you, slow start, everything else though, is fast and awesome.

I do feel like Montgomery and Juliet bugged me a little bit in this book. I feel like they were either whiny, or really harsh. I really liked how they acted in the first book, and I feel like they just got really harsh. It's like they grew up really fast. I'm not saying that's bad, but I feel like it happened to fast. Like one day they were trying to figure out what was happening, and the next day, they were grown ups. What happened? Also, Edward did not play as big of a roll as I thought he would in this book. That kind of bugged me too. Wasn't the whole point Edward? It just, I wanted more Edward.

Now, I know all that sounded negative, but it really is not. I just can't say all the things I want to say without spoiling all of you, and I won't do that because than you would hate me so...

 

 4/5 points
Go Read This Book Right Now!!

Seriously though, go read this book. Then come back and you can read me talk about what I thought was going to happen, what really happened, and everything else in between.  
 SPOILERS BEGIN NOW!!!

Lucy died... WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!?! Lucy was my favorite character in this whole series. Not Juliet, not Edward, just Lucy. I'm so mad, but I think that she died the right way. Standing up for her friends, and standing up to her father. Then she died protecting Montgomery, and the tears just rolled down my face. Oh, heart broken. Also, Lucy and Edward, I really liked that pairing. That way everybody could be happy, but nooooooo. Lets kill Lucy. It will be fun she said. Gahhhhhhhh!

For some reason, I was surprised when Lucy's dad came after them. I don't know why I was, but for some reason I was. I was offended that he wrote that newspaper article to lure Lucy out. That was just evil, plain evil. I will give him credit though, I am impressed on how he found them. From the paper, he traced it to a certain type of tree, and so on. That is pretty impressive, could he even do that? I wish I were that smart.

Now, ever since the last book, we know Montgomery had a secret he was not telling Juliet. I was hoping that it would be that Juliet is the Beast too. That she would be like Edward and would attack people too, and then Montgomery would go hunt her down and find a cure to save her.  Kind of a random idea, but it could have happened, maybe.

The Beast told Juliet that Montgomery was keeping a secret from her, in the form of a letter. What did you think the secret was? I thought it has to do with a theory I developed around the middle of the book. Here me out! I thought that Montgomery was the FIRST Beast. I was thinking that the paper Montgomery burned was maybe blueprints to how to make the beast. What if, Juliet's dad made Montgomery as a kid, but he kept growing, like if took him time to mature all the way. That would make sense Edward was made from Montgomery's blood, but alas, it was not meant to be.  What he was really hiding though, did surprise me though. I really did not expect it, that Juliet's dad was not really her own dad. I feel like I was waiting for this big surprise that would change everything, but no. I felt that the big secret had nothing to do with the story.

I thought it was really interesting how when you brought things back to life, they got supernatural powers. I mean, it makes sense. You are bringing them back to life, I bet the lighting does something to the brain, scrambles it up. Let me know how you think they get super strength. I also thought that it was pretty cool how they could only be killed by fire. It was almost like they were vampires... wait... what if they are vampires. Can you tell yet that I love to think up all the different possibilities for how the story could have ended?

END SPOILERS

So there you go! I hope you enjoyed this book review, and I will see you in the next review.    



   

 

Comments

Followers