Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright, David Leslie Johnson, with an introduction by Catherine Hardwicke (Book Review)

Red Riding HoodThe blacksmith would marry her.
The woodcutter would run away with her.
The werewolf would turn her into one of its own.


Valerie's sister was beautiful, kind, and sweet. Now she is dead. Henry, the handsome son of the blacksmith, tries to console Valerie, but her wild heart beats fast for another: the outcast woodcutter, Peter, who offers Valerie another life far from home.

After her sister's violent death, Valerie's world begins to spiral out of control. For generations, the Wolf has been kept at bay with a monthly sacrifice. But now no one is safe. When an expert Wolf hunter arrives, the villagers learn that the creature lives among them--it could be anyone in town.

It soon becomes clear that Valerie is the only one who can hear the voice of the creature. The Wolf says she must surrender herself before the blood moon wanes...or everyone she loves will die.



This book if you can not tell, is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. In this story we follow Valerie who lives in the small village of Daggorhorn. Every month in this small village, a full moon appears, and that's where things get interesting. There is a werewolf in this village, and every month the villagers make a sacrifice so that the werewolf does not eat the women and children. Then one day, that all changes when the body of a girl is found dead. This was a book that kept me guessing until the very end, and guess what... I'm still guessing! Guess who is going to be looking for the movie very soon. 

Do you guys read the introductions at the beginning of books?  Well it was there that I found out that this book was actually bases on a move that the director of Twilight, Catherine Hardwicke, was making. I thought that it was great idea. You see movies being based off of books, but you never really see books based off of movies. I thought that was something I might add so you can also watch the movie.

The writing kind of annoyed me in this book. I like a really smooth writing style that flows nicely, but this was not that kind of book. The writing in my opinion was really choppy, and I found it difficult to understand in the beginning, but as I kept on reading, I actually grew to like it. It really suited the story of panic, meyham, and mystery. I defiantly like choppy writing, if it goes with the book's story. Don't get me wrong, I am still a smooth writing kind of person, but I have a new appreciation for more of a choppy writing style.  

I did find the characters kind of silly though. I mean, do you really fall instantly in love with a person you have not seen in years? Also, I felt that most of the village people just ran around and did nothing. Your village and family are at risk, do you sit around drinking excessive amounts of alcohol, or do you make a plan to help protect your family. I know which one I would choose.  

3/5 Points 
I liked this book, but it wasn't amazing

Overall, a fun book that I would read if you see it at your public library. 

Comments

Followers