Book Review: The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine

The Promise of AmazingWren Caswell is average. Ranked in the middle of her class at Sacred Heart, she’s not popular, but not a social misfit. Wren is the quiet, “good” girl who's always done what she's supposed to—only now in her junior year, this passive strategy is backfiring. She wants to change, but doesn’t know how.

Grayson Barrett was the king of St. Gabe’s. Star of the lacrosse team, top of his class, on a fast track to a brilliant future—until he was expelled for being a “term paper pimp.” Now Gray is in a downward spiral and needs to change, but doesn’t know how.

One fateful night their paths cross when Wren, working at her family’s Arthurian-themed catering hall, performs the Heimlich on Gray as he chokes on a cocktail weenie, saving his life literally and figuratively. What follows is the complicated, awkward, hilarious, and tender tale of two teens shedding their pasts, figuring out who they are—and falling in love.








Well, that was...something. I honestly was clueless on how to rate this book, I didn't really like the first half of the book, but I loved the second half. As you can see, this is a big brain twister. I ended up rating it 3.5, which is pretty high, but I have reasons! Let me tell you about the book first though. In this book we follow Wren and Grayson, as they fall in love after Wren saves Grayson's life. I have seen mixed reviews for this book; I am in the middle, more leaning toward loving it.

Let's talk about the first park of the book; aka, the part I didn't like. Now, this was funny, I was laughing at how much I disliked the first half of the book. Reason one-the instant love. This book had the biggest case of instant love I have ever seen. Seriously! I thought it was very impressive. After just a couple of pages (they had know each other for mere minuets!), and they were acting like they were in love. I mean, I get that you would have a connection with someone after you saved their life, but not that quickly! I don't know how to describe it; stupid doesn't seem like the right word. Also, Grayson was acting like such a stalker! Even worse, Wren didn't even leave! Any normal person would be at least concerned if a stranger approached them outside their school after tracking them down. I would be concerned, wouldn't you be? Just the whole instant love, stalker behavior, and not running away from stalker behavior really got on my nerves.

All of that went away after the first half of the book though! I really enjoyed and flew through the second half. After I got to know and understand what Grayson did better, I really liked him and Wren as a couple. I do think that they both made stupid decisions, but hey; if they didn't what kind of teenagers would they be? I have figured out that I am really well behaved, because I see book characters do stupid things and immediately screem in my head, "WHY WOULD YOU EVER DO THAT?!?" It might just be me. Does any one else do that? 

I know that I should be rating this book lower, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I really enjoyed the second half, and it made the whole book better in my opinion. I would not recommend this book to anyone who cannot stand instant love, but other than that, I think that you should try this book out. 

3.5/5 Points
I liked this book, but I didn't love it.        

Comments

Followers