The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey (Book Review)

The Girl with All the GiftsMelanie is a very special girl. Dr. Caldwell calls her "our little genius."

Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh.

Melanie loves school. She loves learning about spelling and sums and the world outside the classroom and the children's cells. She tells her favorite teacher all the things she'll do when she grows up. Melanie doesn't know why this makes Miss Justineau look sad.







This book was not what I expected, at all. While I did have some problems with the book, I enjoyed reading it. In this book we follow five different people; Melanie, a hungrie who is not like the others; Miss Justineau, Melanie's teacher; Dr. Caldwell, a scientist trying to find a cure for the hungries; Sergeant Parks, a sergeant in the army trying to keep everybody safe; and Kieran Gallagher, a soldier following Sergeant Parks. Through out the book we follow these five characters as they try to survive the zombie apocalypses (or should I say, hungrie apocalypses).  

One thing that I found annoying in this book was the multiple points of view. I found that I did not like reading from Dr. Caldwell's perspective because she used too many big words. I'm not a scientist! I found myself just plain confused and bored with her chapters because I could not understand her. While I did not enjoy Dr. Caldwell's point of view, I really enjoyed Melanie's point of view. I thought it was really cool to see how Melanie handled the whole situation. Also to see how she reacted when she was hungry and had to feed was really interesting to see. 

One thing about this book that I found interesting was that everybody really had their own goals. Yes, everybody had the same overall goal, but each character wanted something different. I feel like finding what each character wanted really helped the character progress throughout the story. Overall, making the characters more human and relatable.

Now this is an Adult book, and I usually read Young Adult. So this was a change from my usual read. The pacing was a little slower, and I ended up taking a long time to read this book. It is not that the book was not keeping my attention, but the way the book was written kept me from being able to sit down and just read it like I usually do. I can not say why this is, but this was one of those books.

Overall, this was a book that took me a while to read, with one character that I found myself not liking. It was defiantly a nice book, but it is an Adult book. So beware, it is not as fast paced as your normal YA book.

3/5 points
I liked this book    


*Links*

Comments

Followers