Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins (Book Review)

Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1)Embrace the Forbidden
What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?
This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.
Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?


- Review -
  This was one of those books where I was bugged by it, but still liked it. From this cover choice, what would you expect this book to be about? A girl trying to hide from her weird creepy stalker. Ya, not even close. I think this is one of these books where it is better to go into not knowing much detail. I will tell you this though, there is romance. I will get to that a little bit. In this book we follow Anna, who is a Nephilim. That means that her dad is a demon, and her mom is an angle. Every demon has a child, and Anna is the daughter of Belial. He is in charge of substance abuse, (drugs and alcohol). Because of this Anna is naturally attracted to drugs. Anna is a good girl, but that all changes when she meets Kaidan. Kaidan is the son of Pharzuph, and he is in charge of Lust, (craving for carnal pleasures of the body; sexual desire outside of marriage). That is all I will tell you summary wise on this book, you are completely blind for the rest of the book.

Lets talk about Kaidan shall we? You know that question, what is your favorite bad guy you can't help but love? Ya, Kaidan is now at the top of this list. I feel like Anna was making him out to be a really bad guy, and saying he was a jerk, when he was really trying not to hurt her. And the end of the book, don't be dumb, don't be dumb. You were, kinda dumb. Until book two Kaidan, until book two.

Now lets rant, shall we? The romance. Now don't get me wrong, I love romance! I feel that there was too much in this book though. It was just the things like, saying I love you really quickly, and doing thing you know will be miserable to get out of.  Just.. why would you do that to your self? I would have rather learned more about how the society worked, or some of the other Nephilim. I figure more of that will be covered in the next book though.

This is the second book this year that has done this to me! What was the conflict! I felt like this book was lacking in the conflict department. I mean, I see how she had to overcome certain things, but what was the main goal. To me,  it felt like a really long book, filled with not enough of the demons, and too much romance. It was still so entering though.

   
What did you think of her "superpowers"? I thought it was kinda cool that they could see emotions. That is one superpower you never really see, but it was really cool. How she could tell if people were mad, or loving, or even overjoyed. Honestly, new favorite superpower. 

3/5 points
I liked it, but did not love it
Over all, a fun book with problems. I would check it out at the library for sure, if you see it.    

Comments

Followers