Where is the Diversity on Book Covers? (Babble from a Book Nerd #10)

I noticed something recently; almost all book covers that have people on them, feature skinny white girls. Seriously? There is this great movement in YA literature called We Need More Diverse Books, it is having great effects in literature, but I haven't seen it on the covers. 

Here are some books that have the stereotypical models on the cover...

Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1)Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1)Prisoner of Night and Fog (Prisoner of Night and Fog, #1)The Selection (The Selection, #1)Winterspell (Winterspell, #1)ChimeAir Awakens (Air Awakens, #1)The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)   

Notice anything? All of these covers feature skinny, sexy, good looking white girls. These are just a fraction of the books like this! Look up any book on Goodreads, and there will be at least five books just like these on the same page. 

 Now, here are the few books that I could find, that didn't feature a skinny, sexy, good looking white girl...

SoundlessUnhinged (Splintered, #2)Ensnared (Splintered, #3)City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) 

Isn't it sad that these were the only four that I could think of? Also, three of these covers have males on them. I couldn't find any other covers with diverse females on them.  I have only seen one cover with a person of a different race other than Caucasian. I might be overlooking some, but you get my point. There are so many covers that features the "perfect" girl, the girl with no problems, who gets no pimples, and that always looks better than everybody else. Where are the boys, the people with disabilities, the different races, and the overweight? Even the people who are not model skinny. It's like they don't exist on book covers! Did they just disappear out of thin air?

After I realized this, I started realizing just how many book covers feature the "easy to look at" girl. This may just be me, but I think that it would be easier to look at covers with some diversity on them. Where are the covers featuring the people with pimples, broken limbs, and that are not stick skinny? Where are the people from around the world? Where are the people who are in wheelchairs, who are blind, who are deaf, and who need helping dogs? For goodness sake, where are the people with scares? Lots of people have scars, why don't we see more of them on covers?

I mean, it's not a bad thing that covers feature the "good looking girl" because there are people who look like that! I'm just saying that maybe there should be covers that feature all different types of people, and not just the usual girl. 

I feel like this needs to be discussed more! So feel free to make your own discussion posts on this topic and let me know! I would love to hear what you think. Also, tell me what you think about more diversity on book covers in the comments. Does anyone else agree with me? Let me know!  

Comments

Followers